SERVICE RULES AND REGULATIONS:
Associate Professor / Chief Librarian
Assistant Professor[Grade-I]/Senior Librarian
Assistant Professor / Librarian / Director of Physical Education
Recruitment of Faculty:
As the faculty/staff members play a major role in achieving the goals of the Institute,it is noteworthy to identify and recruit highly qualified faculties .
Recruitment of faculty members is done based on the norms prescribed by AICTE/Anna University for various cadres. The fixation of seniority or additional increment for past service in Institutions/ Industries is done based on the norms prescribed by AICTE/Anna University
The recruitment of the faculty members is made by the selection committee whenever required, by following an open and transparent selection procedure.
- Advertisements are given in the leading newspapers.
- The prospective candidates are screened by their education, experience and research activities by the HOD.
- The screened candidates are intimated about the interview date and time.
- Candidates are interviewed and demo class observed by the constituted selection committee.
- Based on the recommendations made by the selection committee the candidates are informed of their selection.
- After receiving the acceptance letter from the selected candidates, appointment orders are issued.
Composition of the Selection Committee to Recruit Faculty Members:
The selection committee is constituted by the following members.
Composition of the Selection Committee
Secretary & Correspondent
Jaisakthi Educational Trust
Panimalar Group of Institutions
Panimalar Institute of Technology
Head of the departments
Panimalar Institute of Technology
Field Expert Members
Experts from Anna University and Sathyabama University
Service conditions including Promotion Policy:
- A person shall be deemed to have been appointed to the service when his appointment is made to post in accordance with the existing AICTE norms but it shall not include Faculty appointed on deputation or temporary/ad hoc.
- Every appointee shall be subject to the conditions that he/she is certified as in sound mental health and physically fit for service by a medical authority as specified from time to time.
- The pay of teaching staff shall be fixed by the selection committee in accordance with the scale of pay prescribed by AICTE.
- Performance appraisal would be considered for promotion.
- The pay of non-teaching staff shall be fixed by the selection committee in accordance with AICTE & central government.
- The seniority of an employee in any grade shall, unless he/she has been reduced to a lower rank on punishment, leave on LOP, be determined by the date of his/her first appointment on probation.
- The appointment authority shall, at time of appointing two or more persons simultaneously to a grade, fix the seniority for them with reference to the rank fixed by the selection committee at the time of appointment, irrespective of date of joining.
- All appointment in the academic service shall be made by open competition by an advertisement and selection, where in all the in-service personnel who possess the qualification prescribed shall also be permitted to apply.
- The management may however make ad hoc appointments in specific cases or recruit by deputation. No application of the employee seeking employment elsewhere shall be forwarded during the probation period.
- Increment will be sanctioned only on satisfactory report on performance of the employee.
- An increment may be withheld to the faculty/staff if the conduct has not been good or his work has not been satisfactory.
- The authority ordering such with-holding the increment shall state the period for which it is to be withheld and whether the postponement shall have the effect for postponing future increment also.
- In all cases, the increment is sanctioned based on the report of the Performance Appraisal of the employee.
- The objective of the promotion policy is to recognize and reward, merit and competence. It improves the organizational and functional effectiveness.
- All promotions shall be subject to completion of minimum qualifying period and other requirements such as employee’s current academic performance, their research work, number of publications, commitment of the staff to the improvement of the institution etc.
- The promotion of an employee is purely based on the merit cum seniority basis.
- Initially the appointment of the selected candidates will be temporary, for a period of one year, after which the performance of the appointee will be reviewed to regularize the appointment. The service conditions of the incumbent will be governed by the rules and regulations of the institution issued from time to time.
- Except in the case of appointment in tenure or on contract basis or on deputation all appointments to the posts shall ordinarily be made of probation for a period of 2 years and the period or probation can be extended by management in case of non-satisfactory performance.
- If any candidate is appointed on purely temporary basis in a vacancy, he/she has no right to claim a permanent post. However, such candidates may also apply for permanent post following the regular procedure adapted to the candidates of competition. If a person, having been appointed temporarily to a post is subsequently appointed regularly, he/she shall commence probation from the date fixed for appointment on probation.
- The services of any candidate appointed on temporary/adhoc basis can be terminated without any notice and without assigning any reason.
- Any member of the faculty in permanent service shall give three months notice in case he/she desires to be relieved on resignation or in the alternative he/she shall pay three months salary in lieu thereof. The resignation shall come into force from the date from which the appointing authority accepts the resignation or the date of relief whichever is earlier.
- Any member of the support staff in permanent services shall give one month notice in case he/she shall pay one month salary in lieu thereof. The resignation shall come into force from the date from which the appointing authority accepts the resignation or the date of relief whichever is earlier.
- Any member of the faculty / support staff during probation shall give one month notice in case he/she desires to be relieved on resignation or in the alternative he/she shall pay one month salary in lieu thereof. The resignation shall come to force from the date from which the appointing authority accepts the resignation or the date of relief whichever is earlier. Normally they will not be relieved in the middle of a semester.
- However, the appointing authority reserves the right to waive the notice period or the compensation thereof.
- An Employee of the institution shall be retired on super annuation when he/she attain the age of 65 years. Provided that the authority shall have the right to issue orders of retirement of an employee who has attained the age of fifty eight (58) years for reasons of inefficiency, ill-health and the like.
- However, this rule does not apply to those who are appointed on contract basis for whom the management will decide the renewal of contract for a further duration.
Termination of service of an Employee:
- The Management reserves the right to terminate the service of any employee whether probationer or regular giving 1/2/3 months notice or in lieu thereof 1/2/3 months pay.
- The Management may terminate any faculty /staff whether temporary or permanent for the following causes such as incompetent or inefficient service, neglect of duty and physical or mental incapacity.
- A service file shall be maintained in respect of each employee of the institution where all his/her service particulars shall be recorded under the signature of the Principal.
- In case of doubt or interpretation of rule, as these are applicable to Panimalar Institute of Technology, the decision of the Chairman/Secretary & Correspondent will be final.
- Not with standing said anywhere, any service rules, which involve financial commitments, will be subject to availability of funds and decision of the management will be final.
- The management subject to ratification of the governing council is the authority for introducing, repealing or amending any service rule it deems necessary for day to day administration.
Professional Code of Conduct:
- An employee of the Institution shall devote his/her whole time to the service of the Institution and shall not engage directly or indirectly in any trade or business or in another Institution or any other work, which is likely to interfere with the proper discharge of his/her duties. This provision shall not apply to academic work like giving guest lectures, giving talks and any other work undertaken with prior permission of the Principal.
- Every Employee shall, at all times maintain absolute integrity and devotion to duty and shall do nothing against the dignity and prestige of the institution, particularly in his/her relationship with the Principal , Faculty, Students and Visitors to the Institution.
- No Employee shall, without obtaining the previous sanction of the Principal, ask for or accept or in any way participate in the raising of any subscription or other pecuniary assistance in pursuance of any object whatsoever except for routine, farewell and felicitation connected with the institution.
- No staff member of the institution shall, engage himself/herself in coaching privately, students for any remuneration.
- No employee shall, except with the previous sanction of the Principal, accept any remunerative or honorary work not connected with the institution.
- No employee shall, except with the permission of the Principal, own wholly or in part, conduct or participate in editing or management of any newspapers or other periodical publications.
- No employee shall, while being on duty, take part in politics which includes holding office, elective or otherwise in any political party or standing for election to the state legislature or the Parliament or take part in any other election as independent or on any party ticket.
- No employee shall take part in any act or movement, such as strike, incitement there to or similar activity in connection with any matter pertaining to his service or to any other matter, which tends to bring the institution to disrepute, nor shall he/she resort to media with his/her grievances.
- An employee shall not, without the knowledge and approval of the Principal and Management, have recourse to any organization/ authority, court, or to the press for vindication of this grievance.
- The Governing Body in exercising the provisions of these rules shall exercise the power, after giving the employee concerned, an opportunity to explain his/her case.
- No employee may absent himself/herself from duty without prior permission. In case of emergency of proceeding on leave without prior permission, he/she must explain the circumstance, which were beyond his/her control before rejoining duty.
- Every employee shall be at work punctually at the timings fixed unless permitted otherwise by his/her supervisor.
- No employee shall after reporting himself/herself for work, be found absent during the period of work assigned to them.
However the above rules do not apply to employees appointed on deputation, contract basis and persons appointed temporarily for a specific period.
The following acts of commission/omission shall be treated as misconduct:
- Failure to exercise efficient supervision on the subordinate staff.
- Disobedience to any lawful order of his/her superior officer.
- Gross negligence in teaching or other duty assigned.
- No outsider shall be allowed to get inside the premises of the Institution or to damage the Institution property.
- Intemperate habits affecting the efficiency of the teaching work.
- Any act involving moral tribute is punishable under the provisions of the Indian Penal Code.
- Failure on the part of an employee to give full and correct information regarding his/her provision history and violating any other specific directions or instructions given by his/her superior officer.
No order imposing any punishment on a Member shall be imposed except after:
The member will be informed in writing by the Principal in regard to the allegations on which disciplinary action is proposed to be taken and is given an opportunity to make representation that he/she may wish to make in person orally or in writing.
Such representation, if any, is taken in to consideration by the authority competent to impose penalty.
Disciplinary Actions and appeals:
These rules shall apply to all Employees of the Institution. The following penalties may, for sufficient reasons be imposed upon the employees of the institution namely,
- With holding of increments/promotion
- Reduction to a lower post or a lower stage in time scale.
- Recovery from pay of the whole or part of any pecuniary loss caused to the loss institution by negligence of breach of orders
- Compulsory Retirement.
- Dismissal from the Institution service.
Teaching Faculty Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities of Faculty consists of four components viz.,
- Research & Consultancy
- Extension Services.
Each of them are described below
- Class Room Instruction
- Laboratory Instruction
- Curriculum Development
- Development of Learning Resource Material & Laboratory Development.
- Students Assessment & Evaluation including examination work of University.
- Participation in the Co-curricular & Extracurricular activities
- Student’s guidance, counseling and helping their personal, ethical, moral and overall character development.
- Keeping abreast of new knowledge and skills, help generate new knowledge and help dissemination of such knowledge through books research paper publication, seminars ,etc.,
- Continuing education activities.
- Self-development through upgrading qualification, experience and professional activities.
Research & Consultancy:
- Work on industrial problems and projects.
- Industry sponsored projects
- Organize and co-ordinate consultancy services.
- Prepare funded project proposals.
- Publish original research analysis in books and in reputed academic journals.
- Promote industry institute interaction and industry oriented R&D.
- Provoke students to do industrial projects and participate in international level competitions.
- Academic and Administrative Management of the Department/ Institution.
- Policy Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation and Promotional Activities both at Departmental and Institutional Level.
- Design and development of new programme.
- Preparing project proposals for funding in areas of R & D work, Laboratory development, modernization, expansion etc.,
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Academic and research activities.
- Helping mobilization of resources for the Institution.
- Participation in policy planning at the regional/national level for development of technical education.
- Plan and implement staff development activities.
- Maintain accountability.
- Conduct performance appraisal.
- Interaction with Industry and society.
- Participation in community services.
- Providing R & D support and consultancy services to industry and other user agencies.
- Providing non-formal modes of education for the benefit of the community
- Dissemination of knowledge
- Providing technical support in areas of social relevance.
- Promotion of entrepreneurship and job creation.
Faculty Performance Appraisal and Development System (FPADS):
Faculty Performance Appraisal and Development System (FPADS) is formulated by the institution to evaluate each faculty and based on the results, promotion and increments are awarded to the faculty.
Faculty Performance Appraisal is based on the following Process:
- In the beginning of the academic year a circular is sent to all the faculty members about Faculty Performance Appraisal System along with various Appraisal Parameters.
- In the end of the academic year, all the faculty members are asked to submit the Faculty Performance Appraisal which is filled based on the guide lines.
- Based on the Evaluation parameters the performance of the Faculty members is self-evaluated.
- The appraisal committee members (HOD and Principal) discuss with the faculty member about their Performance with respect to the Appraisal Performance Report (APR) and future plans for the growth of department and institution.
- Based on the discussion with the faculty members and APR score, the appraisal committee members decide the Promotion and Increments for the faculty and also give the suggestions for the betterment to their future
Flow chart for the Appraisal Process:
Faculty Performance Appraisal Evaluation parameters:
- Evaluation of Teaching and Learning includes the University results and students feedback on subjects handled, UG projects guided, Lab Development / Maintenance / Contribution. (70 Points)
- Evaluation of Research and Development includes Academic Research, Sponsored Research and Consultancy. (15 Points)
- Evaluation of Academic Research includes list of papers published (National/International Journal, National/International Conference), Books/Monogram/Laboratory manual authored, FDP/Workshop/Seminar Attended/Invited. (10 Points)
- Evaluation of Sponsored Research and Consultancy includes ongoing & completed Sponsored/Consultancy Project and other activities related to R&D. (5 Points)
- Evaluation of Co-Curricular, Extra Curricular and Professional activities includes Department level/Institute level Co-Curricular/Extra Curricular activities and Membership in professional bodies. (10 Points)
- Department level Co-Curricular activities includes Class/Project work/Time Table/Industrial Visit/Guest Lecture Co-ordinator, FDP/Workshop Organised, etc.,
- Institute level Extra Curricular activities includes NSS, YRC, Sports, College day,Convocation, etc.,
- Evaluation of Awards & Recognition received. (5 Points)
Based on the Evaluation parameters the performance of the Faculty members is self-evaluated and Appraisal Performance Report (APR) is submitted.
Table:10.17:Appraisal Performance Report (APR)
Factors of Appraisal
Teaching and Learning
Research & Development
Co-Curricular, Extra Curricular and Professional Extension activities
Awards & Recognition received
The Institution working time is from 8.00 AM to 3.15 PM and has 8 working periods per day. The institution works for five days and totally 40 hours per week. However, the 6th day in the week will be a working day if necessary/if there is shortage of working days / periods. The office time is from 8.00 AM to 5.00 PM.
The institution shall have at least 180 full teaching days per year with 90 full teaching days per semester. Teaching Days here shall mean actual class room/laboratory conducting teaching days and do not include days of examination.
The Principal and HOD will discuss results of the appraisal with each staff, sustained good performance will be a requirement for:
- Internal Promotions.
- Selection of HOD’s/ Chairman’s of Committees.
- Selection Grade Promotions
Application for Leave:
Any application for leave shall be made in prescribed leave form to the authority competent to grant leave. Except emergency cases, leave should be applied for and sanctioned before one day .
- All faculty and staff are eligible for 12 days CL during the calendar year.
- Faculty and staff who have not completed one year of service can avail only on a pro-rata basis of one day CL a month.
- Saturdays (if not working days), Sundays and Holidays availed during the period of casual leave are not counted as part of casual leave and compensatory leave.
- In case of emergency, leave intimation should be given through phone or person to be supplemented with proper leave application after return.
- Proper job allocation should be made prior to proceeding on leave.
- In case of emergency leave, HOD should make alternate job arrangement and normal working hours should not be affected.
- Administrator Manager will be the leave sanctioning authority for the office staff.
- Principal will be the leave sanctioning authority for all the HODs, teaching Faculty and Non-technical staff.
- LOP leave has to be sanctioned with proper justification. Leave without sanction will be treated as absent.
- Leave / on duty can be considered only after prior approval. Otherwise, it will be treated as leave on loss of pay.
- Prefix and suffix are not permitted for LOP leave.
- No leave can be prefixed or suffixed to vacation.
- Vacation and OD cannot be combined with CL.
- Casual Leave not availed in any calendar year cannot be carried over to the next calendar year.
- The recognition of the presence of the individual for work is done based only on the signature of the individual in the attendance register kept for that purpose.
- It is the responsibility of the faculty to make an alternative arrangement for the classes the faculty missed because of the casual leave. The HOD will monitor and take suitable steps to see that all the classes are engaged. The same should be intimated to the Principal.
- All women faculty/staff may avail three months maternity leave twice during their service period, along with two months full pay and allowance.
- Maternity leave is not debited to leave account.
- Faculties who have completed one year of service are eligible for a vacation leave for 30 days. Those who have not completed one year of service are eligible for the Institution’s closed vacation only.
- The vacation leave can be availed of at one stretch of 30 days or in part of a minimum of 15 days each.
- Only intermediate Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays will be added to the vacation leave.
- Vacation leave cannot be combined with CL or OD.
- Vacation leave should not be availed during the course of semester except in case of emergency and with prior permission.
- Vacation leave mentioned above is inclusive of common vacation declared by the Institution at the end of the academic year.
On duty for Faculty may be granted for the following
- For attending as External Examiner for Practical and Theory
- Attending Conferences and Seminars on behalf of the Institute.
- Participating in National and International Technical Competitions along with students.
- Duty leave can also be provided for attending meeting with AICTE, Anna University etc where a faculty is invited to share expertise with academic bodies and government.
- Faculty on duty is expected to produce proof of attendance to the office concerned immediately on return.
Faculties are provided on duty for higher studies whenever necessary.
Two permission of one hour duration each can be availed by the faculty and staff in a month either during first hour or last hour of the working day and not in between.
- Medical leave shall be availed upto five days for Faculty and Staff with full pay .
- This leave should be accompanied by Medical Certificate for more than three days.
All faculty/Staff members may avail marriage leave during their service period for 10 days with full pay.
- For movement in to Grades of Associate Professor and above, the minimum eligibility Criteria will be Ph.D.Faculty without Ph.D., can go up to the level of Assistant Professor (Selection Grade).
- An Associate Professor with Ph.D. and a minimum of 5 years service will be eligible for consideration for appointment as professor.
- For every upward movement, the selection process as per the rules and regulations of Anna University, to which the institution is affiliated, would be followed.
- Period spent on higher studies is reckoned as experience for the purpose of awarding in higher scale.
To grow along with the institute, one/two faculty is granted and sponsored for higher studies in their field at Various Universities. This includes both Doctoral Program and Master degree.
Preference will be given for the Doctoral Programs, followed by Master Degree and Second Master Degree programs on execution of a bond to the effect that he/ she shall serve the institution for a period of 5 years in respect of Doctoral programs and 3 years in respect of Master’s programs and that in case he /she fail to successfully complete the said programs and further that he/she does not serve the institution for the full period as per the bond on return after successful completion of studies. He/she would refund the assured amount as per bond executed.
Faculty members are encouraged to pursue Doctoral research work within the Institution by way of sanctioning grants for procuring minor equipment for the research project to the extent possible and also by reducing the teaching load of such faculty for a specified period based on the progress made as certified by the Research Committee in which the Research Guide will be a member.
Faculty Development Programme, Seminars ,Workshops and Conferences:
The management encourage all the faculty members to attend seminars, workshops and conferences and for the selected programmes, the faculty members are sponsored with on-duty on that day.
The faculty are being deputed to faculty development programmes, short term/ orientation courses during vacation or non-vacation days without affecting the academic work, preference will be given to those, who have to fulfill the requirements of rules stipulated for Career Advancement.
The period of absence is treated as “ON DUTY” during the period of attending the courses.
Promotion of In-House Research and Development:
The Institution aims at promoting Research & Development, Consultancy and such other profession – promotional activities, involving the faculty at various levels. It encourages the faculties to undergo In-House R & D activities along with the students.
The faculty involving in research are encouraged for getting substantial grants for R&D works or for strengthening the infrastructure in the institute.
Incentives and Awards:
The Best Teacher Awards have been instituted to encourage the staff members to put in their best efforts. Faculty members are encouraged to take up minor research and development projects by sanctioning the grants to the extent possible when sought and travel grants are sanctioned to faculty to present research papers or attend National or International conferences in India/Abroad.
Development Program for Technical Supporting Staff:
The training programme for Lab Practical shall be arranged for the Lab Instructor if required in new curriculum .The management also encourages to conduct and attend programmes in modern tools to upgrade the technical knowledge of Lab Instructors.
The following are the services benefits and welfare measures extended to the staff of the institution:
- The management grants maternity leave to the women employees, for a period of 90 days and limited to the first two living children.
- Medical reimbursement for major accidents.
- Interest free loans for emergency.
- Free admission for children of employee and concession of fees for them.
- Free Transport for staff.
- In the event of death of an employee, while in service his/her dependant will be considered for employment on compassionate grounds.
- Free Breakfast, lunch and Refreshments for Staff.
- As the members of Staff are covered under Employment Provident Fund Scheme as the acts, according to which persons drawing salary up to Rs. 6,500/- per month are covered. The employees and the management contribute 12% of the pay of such employee.
- Group Insurance Scheme is offered to our Staff members
- Gratuity is given to all staff members who have worked in this institution for over 5 years. 15 days salary is calculated for every completed year of service, as per the Gratuity Act.